AOL Mail is one of the most excellent email service providers in America. AOL stands for America Online has been an internet pioneer since the mid-90’s. The company is known throughout the world for their iconic services like AOL Mail, AOL web portal and other online services.
AOL Mail is an excellent alternative to the mainstream email service providers like Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and Outlook Mail. AOL Mail has an additional advantage that lets you use the AOL Mail on third-party applications and read or send emails through them.
AOL Mail IMAP settings allow you to send, download and receive the emails on any applications. AOL server settings need to be set accordingly, and you can use the AOL Mail.
AOL Mail servers run on three main protocols that are – IMAP, POP3, and SMTP. However, users find AOL Mail IMAP settings to be better than the AOL POP3 server setting or AOL SMTP settings.
Choosing between IMAP vs SMTP can be confusing but don’t worry, we can help you to set up your account.
Table of Contents
Steps to Set up AOL Mail Account
If you want to sync the AOL Mail account to your Outlook on Mac, then you have to follow some simple instructions. These instructions can clear out your doubts within a few minutes.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2011 in your Mac.
- After receiving a welcome screen on Outlook 2011, click on the Add Account
- If you don’t see a welcome screen then go to Tools > Accounts > Add Account from the Menu bar.
- Then click on Email Account
- Now edit the settings manually by following the below mentioned instructions carefully.
- You have to enter your email address, password and username also.
- Choose the IMAP type.
- For the Incoming server use this: imap.aol.com / Either 993 (SSL) or 143 (or 585)
- For the Outgoing server use this: smtp.aol.com / 587 (TLS) (or 2525)
- Now click on Add Account.
- Now click on More Options.
- Select the option of Incoming Server Info for the Authentication
- Tap on OK.
- Check if you inserted every information correctly and close the window.
- Now after editing the AOL server settings successfully you can use your AOL Mail account via Outlook 2011 on your Mac.
You can also import your POP account into IMAP account, follow the instructions to do that.
- Click on the Tools
- Tap on Import
- Click on the Outlook Data File and proceed to click on the right arrow. Select any extension between .pst and .olm to continue.
- You can browse your file that you want to import.
- Click on Done.
- The next important step is to disable your old POP account from Outlook. If you don’t disable it, you’ll keep receiving emails in the old account.
- Go to Account Settings and Delete the old POP account.
Now, you are all set to use your Mail account. You can also explore the additional features provided by the Outlook 2011 on Mac.
AOL is a great alternative when it comes to mainstream email service providers. AOL also has some unique security features that other email service providers don’t. You can access the benefit of accessing your emails on any device or third-party applications.
All you have to do is follow a bunch of instructions to alter the AOL server settings, and we are done. Once you complete the process, you can read, download and send emails on any application like Outlook 2011.
If you encounter any technical issue that you can’t get rid of despite the solutions, you can always contact AOL tech support for the help. They look into the matter and help you out as quickly as possible.